Walk Like a Champ
Learning to walk on a loose leash is hard, but this course breaks it down into four easy to practice sections.Get started todayA Harper membership is $8.33/month (billed annually)
The search for the perfect walk
You’ve probably felt it—that blissful moment when you forget your dog is with you and you’re just enjoying the walk. Maybe it only lasted a few seconds, maybe it only happened because your dog slowed down so she could get a better look at the squirrel across the street, but that doesn’t make the feeling any less real.
That feeling is what we’re after. That is great loose-leash walking.
We all know that great walks with your dog don’t just happen. Dogs don’t show up knowing how to walk by our side on a leash.
The truth is it takes work and a lot of patience to get on the same page. You have to earn it together.
This course is going to give you the mindset, gear, techniques, support, and confidence to achieve great loose-leash walks with your dog.
What your pup will learn
- Give attention when they want something
- At your side is a good place to be
- How to move with you and stop with you
- A cue to come close to your side
- To ignore distractions
- How to walk like a champ
What you’ll learn
- Elements of great loose-leash walking
- How to always get your pup’s attention
- Ways to prevent leash pulling
- Helpful cues for managing your walks
- How to minimize reactions to distractions
- How to walk like a champ
Browse the lesson plan
Stage 1: Preparation
- Introduction to Walk Like a ChampArticle 1
- What is Great Loose Leash Walking?Article 2
- Why is Walking On a Leash So Hard?Article 3
- The Strategy for Training Great Loose-Leash WalksArticle 4
- Collars vs Harnesses vs Head HaltersArticle 5
- Supplies for Training to Walk Like a ChampArticle 6
- Walks are not ExerciseArticle 7
- Get the Energy OutArticle 8
- Training Walks are not like Regular WalksArticle 9
- Focus on the Section Not the GameArticle 10
- Glossary of Cues for Training Loose-Leash WalkingArticle 11
Stage 2: Attention
- Introduction to AttentionArticle 9
- Don’t Be Boring on Your Dog WalksArticle 10
- Raining TreatsGame 1
- Every Game is Not for Every DogArticle 11
- Face MeGame 2
- Using Your Dog’s Name to Get AttentionArticle 12
- Distraction GhostingGame 3
- Using Leash Tension for Good Not EvilArticle 13
- Leash Pressure CueGame 4
- Moving On from AttentionArticle 14
Stage 3: Position
- Introduction to PositionArticle 15
- Should I Walk My Dog On the Right Side or the Left Side?Article 16
- Value For Profit PositionGame 5
- Value For Profit Position OutsideGame 6
- Putting the Profit in Profit PositionArticle 17
- Profit Position SpinsGame 7
- Profit Position Black HoleGame 8
- Moving On From PositionArticle 18
Stage 4: Moving
- Introduction to MovingArticle 19
- Walk TogetherGame 9
- Walk Together OutsideGame 10
- Take It OutsideArticle 20
- Profit Position on CueGame 11
- Nice & Easy StopsGame 12
- Moving On From MovingArticle 21
Stage 5: Distractions
- Introduction to DistractionsArticle 22
- Leave ItGame 13
- Go SeeGame 14
- Be Consistent With Your Dog’s PermissionsArticle 23
- Polite ApproachesGame 15
- Polite Walk-By’sGame 16
- Avoid Dogs Greeting Dogs on WalksArticle 24
- Speed BumpsGame 17
- Moving On from DistractionsArticle 25
- What’s Next After Walk Like a Champ?Article 26
What’s in every Harper subscription
- All 30+ curated courses
- All 100+ training games and guides
- Step-by-step video instruction
- Always-on dog trainer chat
- Reminders to develop a training habit
- Training journal to track progress
- Support from a dog parent community
Frequently asked questions
Harper helps dog parents and their pups train, bond, and explore the world together. The app offers a library of over 30 guided training courses and almost 100 stimulating games, plus dog parenting resources, liver trainer chat, and community with other dog parents.
A Harper membership grants unlimited access to the entire library of 30+ courses, designed to help anyone achieve the relationship with their dog they dreamed of. Courses are made up of fun training games and short articles, expertly created and sequenced to help you master skills and conquer behavior issues at your own pace, from the comfort and safety of home.
That all depends on your dog and your goals! Harper offers substantial multi-phase programs like Puppy Camp or The Every Dog Series. There are also courses targeted for specific skills you and your dog want to master. Check out the Discover tab to see all the available courses.
You can also always ask us! We’re happy to get on the phone to learn about you and recommend a plan.
Harper is an app for iOS. You can download and use it on any modern iPhone or iPad.
A Harper membership costs $8.33 per month, billed annually as $99.99.
We want you and your pup to have the best time using Harper, so we offer free trials for all subscriptions to make sure it’s the right fit for you.
If you need to no longer continue your membership, you can cancel your subscription through Apple on the Subscriptions page of the Settings app.
This page has instructions to follow. Once you cancel, you’ll have access to Harper for the remainder of that billing period, then your subscription will not renew.